Under the new Covid hospital policies, we have added virtual birth and postpartum doula services to continue providing professional support to families throughout pregnancy, labour, and postpartum. While your doula may not be able to provide in person support, much of doula support remains unchanged and there are so many benefits that come with virtual doula support.
1. Virtual support can be customized to meet your family’s needs. Whether you need additional support to prepare for your labour or to connect more frequently once your baby arrives, virtual support can take many forms. As your doula gets to know your preferences, coping strategies, and challenges, they provide individualized support to give you confidence and assistance as your family grows.
2. While hospital restrictions on support persons are in place, doulas are using innovative approaches to provide the same level of education and support. You and your doula will meet a couple times prenatally by video or phone call and are easily accessible by email and text to answer your questions throughout pregnancy. When you are in labour, your doula is text or call away throughout the entire birthing process. Doulas are able to offer guidance, new ideas when you feel you’ve tried everything, and help your support person physically support you with comfort and relaxation techniques.
3. After your birth, your doula continues to be available to you as you adjust to parenthood, whether that be baby care questions or just to connect with someone. Your postpartum doula can support you in many ways beyond in-person support, including education, light errands and meal preparation.
4. Your doula provides you with invaluable referrals and insights on health and wellness practitioners for pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. Doulas have a network of professionals with whom they regularly work and will help you navigate what care you need, which practitioners are available, and how to access care under Covid. Your doula will prepare you for what to expect at the hospital or birth center and new policies under Covid.
5. Doulas provide perinatal resources and community services for you and your family. These are resources that doulas have vetted and found through their experience in supporting families.
Hear from happy mamas: