Written By Taya Griffin, Breastfeeding Consultant and Homeopathic Practitioner
When I counsel mothers-to-be regarding breastfeeding they are surprised when I tell them to head to the grocery store in preparation! I thought I would share a few of the items on my list with Toronto Yoga Mamas:
1) Olive Oil – Breastfeeding should never be painful and when it is, it is time to seek help! However, some mothers do feel a degree of sensitivity as the baby pulls and tugs the nipple deeply into their mouth. Olive oil can be a huge help to soothe these sensitive nipples in the early days. A tiny drop warmed up between your fingers can be used before or after a feed.
2) Cabbage – Some mothers feel some discomfort when their milk transitions away from the colostrum, or perfect first milk, to more mature milk. This usually happens at around 72 hours after the baby has been born. If everything is going well the discomfort is slight but if mom and baby are taking some time to get the hang of things cool cabbage leaves applied to the breast can relieve some of the swelling and hardness that may occur. If you think about the shape of a cabbage leaf you could imagine that nature designed it just for this reason!
3) Oatmeal – The number one reason mothers give up breastfeeding is because they feel they don’t have enough milk for their baby. Getting the best latch possible and knowing how to tell that baby is getting milk is crucial for success. Adding a little something that promotes your supply certainly won’t hurt! Oatmeal (real rolled oats) is a natural galactagogue, or milk making substance, and is also highly nutritious and easy to make. Add some lactation tea and you have a perfect combination for those very early morning breakfasts!
Want to learn more?
Join me for a Free Breastfeeding Q&A Session
MON JUL 22ND 7:30PM - 8:30PM
Susee is a Postpartum Doula on the Toronto Yoga Mamas Doula Team. She has been with us for just over two years and in that time has provided essential postpartum support to new parents.
A postpartum doula helps and supports mothers physically and emotionally, offering practical support after birth. Postpartum Doula services will be tailored to your specific needs but can include:
• Breastfeeding support and education
• New baby care
• Parenting tips and advice
• Relaxation and coping techniques
• Grocery shopping and healthy meal preparation
• Emotional support
• Housework assistance
• Other support services
Susee loves being a postpartum doula because she enjoys working with new families and believes that the support she provides during this period allows new mothers to transition, recover and bond with baby. Starting from childhood, Susee had enjoyed being with babies and new families and seeing the bond between them grow. After birthing two children of her own, her experiences with Postpartum Anxiety made her learn and realize the significance of being a support to mothers and their family. She recognizes how challenging it is to take on the role of a new mother and deal with the changes happening within her. A mother needs support to help carry her through the transition so that she can hold onto her inner strength and beauty.
The best part of her job has been the opportunity to meet with mothers and families. She seeks to help women adjust to the postpartum period and feel confident. Her years of experience has given her a better understanding of how to best support the wellness of new parents and babies. She continues to embrace her work with joy and passion.
Find out more about Toronto Yoga Mamas Doula Services here ♡ .
Would you like to meet more of Toronto Yoga Mamas Doulas?
Join us for our monthly free “All About Doulas Information Session” on December 2nd 7:00pm-8:00pm at our Leslieville location.
Join other expectant parents who are interested in learning more about doula care in Toronto.
Walk away understanding:
You will learn what birth doulas and postpartum doulas do, what a typical doula package includes, how much doulas cost, when to hire a doula and get a chance to speak with many of our birth and postpartum Doulas on our team.
Sign up here: http://www.torontoyogamamas.com/doula-services.html
October is Breastfeeding Month at Toronto Yoga Mamas!
All our Breastfeeding Education is instructed by Taya Griffin, a breastfeeding mother with over 700 hours of clinical experience helping mothers to reach their breastfeeding goals. For more information on Taya, visit her website or read her full bio on our breastfeeding page.
Join us at our studios in Leslieville to learn all about the many benefits of breastfeeding for babies, couples, new and expecting parents!
October Breastfeeding Education Events
Thursday, October 8 Free Breastfeeding Q&A Info Sessions:
For more information or to register for a course, visit our breastfeeding page here. :)